Friday, April 4, 2008

Blackberries!

The blackberries were the first thing I planted this year. They are Kiowa blackberries, reported to be the largest, thorniest, best tasting, and most Houston tolerant cultivar available. Dr. B and I bought the last three they had at the Arbor Gate. They didn't look like much, just little thorny sticks. However, it didn't take them long to become established and start flowering. In retrospect, I probably planted them much too close together, but they don't seem to mind. I can always transplant one or two if needed.


Most everything else I've planted will most likely require a year or so to become productive, but not these guys. Earlier this week I noticed small berries beginning to grow. As of last night there were five, and the plants are continuing to blossom and grow. I may only get a handful of berries this year, but that's pretty exciting for someone who has never been able to keep a plant alive before. Dr. B suggested we save as many as we can and make a cobbler. If we don't have enough this year, we'll definitely do it next year.

No comments: