Tuesday, May 4, 2010

May Garden Tour

Here are just a few pictures to show you what's going on in our back yard. Everything is growing well, and we're looking forward to the first fruits of the year very soon. I don't have time to post pictures of everything, but I'll get around to it.

New Herb Garden

Jalepenos

Tiftblue Blueberries

Derby Bush Beans

Lula Avocado

Sweet Charlie Strawberries

In addition to these, we have several green tomatoes, a new mint bed around one of our potted citrus trees, and several new butterfly/hummingbird habitat plants. We planted mexican bush sage, pineapple sage, white butterfly bush, and blue plumbago in containers on the deck. We also planted a turk's cap by the rain tank, and some coral honeysuckle on a trellis near the kitchen window. I hope to add some mexican fire bush (hamelia patens) by the kitchen window later this year or next year.

I was planning on installing an asparagus bed, but now I think it's too much time and expense. I'd have to wait 3 years before harvesting any stalks, so I think I'll build a vermiculture worm bed instead. I can put this together for $15 (worms included) with scrap lumber, and I need help composting my kitchen scraps anyway. My dual bin system just can't break down our kitchen waste fast enough, but I bet the worms can.

No comments: